Life in Akyarlar is all about relaxation and enjoyment!!!
On the eastern point of the Bodrum Peninsula, is the laid back and stress-free resort of Akyarlar. Its history has roots in a traditional Turkish village that relied on fishing and sponge diving for its main income. These days it can also claim success as a popular windsurfing destination due to the strong winds that breeze in from behind the green hills.
Life in Akyarlar is all about relaxation and enjoyment. No stress and no hassle. In the height of summer, Akyarlar is popular with Turks who flock from their busy lives in the main cities to enjoy a family holiday by the sea.
Where is Akyarlar and how to get there?
Located just half an hour on the bus or 22km from the main resort of Bodrum, it is also known as being the closest point to the island of Kos. The nearest airport is Bodrum airport and from there, the transfer time is roughly one hour.
Take a look at our comprehensive list of excursions agents that offer combined and private transfers to and from Bodrum airport.
While the choice of hotels in Akyarlar is not plentiful, you will still find top quality accommodation that is a good base from which to explore the stunning Bodrum peninsula. There are large all-inclusive hotel resorts and also smaller traditional pansions if you are hampering after the traditional Turkish vibe.
Be sure to pick a hotel with air conditioning if you are traveling in the height of summer as temperatures can reach the 40’s.
Things to Do
- Head to the beach which Forbes magazine voted as one of the most luxurious beaches in the world
- Jump on one of the daily boat tours that leave to explore the secluded bays of the coastline
- Hire a car to explore the surrounding resorts of Turgutreis and Gumusluk
- Explore the cobbled streets of the old town in Bodrum and visit the magnificent castle.
- Take windsurfing lessons at the nearby Fener Beach
- Visit the ancient fortress built by pirates in Karaincir
- Trek up Aspat hill, famous for the view, after head to the coast to swim in the crystal waters
- Bagla bay has the best coves and beaches for a fun and exciting family day out.
Eating Out and Nightlife
Nightlife is all about relaxing and enjoying good company so if you are hampering after the large nightclubs that stay open till dawn, the main town of Bodrum will be better suited to your needs. Restaurants in Akyarlar serve a variety of cuisine at great prices, however fresh fish of the day is a popular choice, when served with a fresh salad.
Traditional restaurants known as Lokantas will introduce you to the famous Turkish cuisine which is a blend of Greek, Armenian and Ottoman flavors.
The Akyarlar weather is a typical Aegean climate with hot summers and cold winters. Rainfall typically happens between the months of January to March, while the summer season lasts from April to October.
Keep up to date with the weather in Akyarlar by using our weather system which is constantly updated every hour.